Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Lost but Found

Sagrada Familia
  Anyone who has known me for a while can attest to my atrocious sense of direction. There have been times where I have called either Katherine or Ben for directions when I'm driving around in Park Ridge; and call my Mom, or even Morgan, when I'm wandering and lost in Chicago. Yes, these are both places I have lived my entire life. Yes, I should know them well enough not to rely on people who either don't live there anymore or haven't lived there nearly as long. Now, imagine my ability to navigate cities I have never been to before. Honestly, it's not too much different, except for that my helplines are nonexistent.

You would think that knowing this would force me to consult a map a little more frequently than I'm accustomed before departing for my destination, maybe ask for directions when it seems that I'm am heading for the wrong side of town, or even travel with a group of people who seem to know what's going on. But, no. Instead of following my own advice, when I get lost I stand in the middle of the sidewalk for a while, consider which way looks like it might be the best way, appear confused for a little longer, and then order a cafe con leche at the nearest coffee shop. This is the Liz Kossnar method of getting lost.

Something I came across on the Passeig de Gracia
I think it's safe to say that I am lost approximately an hour each day, without fail. Yesterday, I was lost getting from the Sangrada Familia back to my hostel--I walked up and down the street adjacent to my hostel for at least a half an hour. Today, I couldn't figure out how to get to Parc Guell so I just decided to try and find the Palau de la Musica. After I walked a good while the opposite direction (but on the correct street) to where I wanted to go, I still got lost after I had regained my ground and finally conceded to ask directions at a tourist stall on Las Ramblas. Even though that woman informed me the direction I had wanted to go was, in fact, the wrong way, I still failed at following her directions, which were even drawn on a McDonald's map she provided for me. Apparently, I looked lost enough to merit the attention of this adorable old man who literally walked me to the Palau de la Musica, and then pointed to the front doors.

Palau de la Musica
While it is annoying to be constantly lost, I also enjoy the helplessness every once in a while. I come across a lot of great Kodak moments I wouldn't have otherwise, not to mention the helpful information that I acquire when I really do need to know that if you take a right from the San Jordi hostel onto the Passeig de Gracia, you can get to the Catalunya metro stop that will take you to the Arc de Triomf. It's all just part of the adventure.

Although, I would really appreciate it if I could make it to Parc Guell tomorrow without too much time spent in confusion...

Parc de la Ciutadella


3 comments:

  1. Barcelona or Madrid? I've never been to Madrid, but spent a week in Barcelona and absolutely loved it. I don't know how I missed the Parc de la Ciutadella - it looks almost surreal though.
    -Jarret

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy the shout out! Don't do anything I wouldn't do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take care and have the time of your life....never again in your life will you have an experience that will ever compare to this. So ENJOY

    ReplyDelete