Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Bonjour Paris

It is not a surprise that Paris is my favorite city so far, and will probably end up being my favorite overall with London, Berlin and Dublin for a tight race for second. This is in part because I studied French for over 5 years and in part because, well, it's Paris. After all, when I texted my dad that I was in love with the city, his response was simply "so you think you're special?" Probably the biggest factor in my amazing weeked was the fact that I spent it with Miss Gabrielle Blackwell (did I spell that correctly?? haha).

Together, Gabby and I saw the city. With just a taste of what we accomplished in merely three days and two nights, we visited the Catacombs, Notre Dame, Shakespeare & Company bookstore, the Pantheon, the Sorbonne, the Louvre, Sacre Coeur, Montmartre, the Latin Quarter and Place Saint Michel. This is not even mentioning the FOOD. We ate almond croissants, crepes (nutella and banana!!), falafel, cupcakes, salades geantes, and tempeh. We also had some wine and even found filtered coffee. Filtered coffee is by far the American staple I really underestimated how much I would miss. Thank you Sugarplum Cakes for a lovely afternoon of reading, filtered coffee and that delicious chocolate cupcake with coffee icing. MMMMMM.

The most memorable part of the trip is the Frenglish and the comments we would make about the historical sites we visited. Maybe we were more concerned about cell phone reception and food while in the catacombs, or maybe even distracted by the interior design of the Louvre instead of the paintings hung on the walls, but c'mon. We really couldn't help it. Gabby, I am a little disappointed that we never finished our song about the Catacombs, but maybe we can finish it in Ireland. Please meet up with me in Ireland!

And for those of you who noticed I did not mention a tourist site that would be a staple of a visit to Paris, I am lucky enough to have been to Paris before, so I did not actually visit the Eiffel Tower this time. I did see it from a distance on my last day. I also haven't decided if I am going to make a return visit to Paris after Amsterdam either. Maybe I will be able to get some Eiffel Tower shots before I leave Europe afterall.

No comments:

Post a Comment