Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The End of Barcelona...And Then Some

So I am really behind on my posts. I'm going to try and catch up the best I can today and tomorrow, although the posts will have to be without pictures for right now. The hostel internet is just not working fast enough for those. Pictures to come later. Blog marathon, woohoo!!! I may even buy a coffee from a little vending machine across from me right now in my hostel--only in the considering stages right now though.

Well the last of Barcelona was quite lovely. I really gave the city another chance after the overwhelming emphasis of Gaudi and his works. Don't get me wrong, I think that the Sangrada Familia and Parc Guell are amazing, but something about the design left me unsatisfied. It was probably just Barcelona's dependence on his designs for tourism that bugged me, but something just rubbed me the wrong way.

However, after I went to the Picasso Museum, which is situated in the old part of Barcelona, I found a new appreciation for the city. This section was much more low key and had a bunch of nice coffee shops and bakeries to wander into. Nothing like the cookiecutter cafes that plagued the main shopping street that my hostel was located near. In fact, upon Tarpey's recommendation, I found my way to Lolita's bakery and had a delicious little red velvet cupcake. So delicious.

Speaking of which, diid I mention that I got to hang out with Tarpey in Barcelona? The first night we met up we made a delicious dinner after rambling down Las Ramblas and going to the outdoor market right next to it. The next, we decided to hang out in her dorm while we both read and just sort of caught up, and of course planned how we are going to meet up with each other all over Europe.

The last night and day of Barcelona were filled with hanging out with people in my hostel, being dragged to a dive bar everyone was heading to and then getting tapas. Thanks again, Cristina, for all the recommendations and food tips you gave me for Barcelona. At least not seeing you for a full year payed off in one way or the other. :)

Honestly, I cannot believe how difficult it is to try and remember all that had happened in Barcelona. It's very strange an idea that I was there merely a week ago, yet can barely remember being there at all. Clearly this entire vacation is becoming quite a whirlwind adventure. For the most part, I really like it. Waking up each morning having new things to discover hasn't gotten old so far. Changing cities so often is the chance to never have a dull day, if you don't want one--then again, there is limited excuse for sleeping in, watching TV or a movie or even going online. Tant mieux, now it's on to Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment